This weekend has been nothing but awesome. We haven’t done too much, but sometimes you just need a 3-day weekend of laziness to get you back on track!
Last night after dinner Blake and I went to our friends Trista and Darren’s house in Uptown. We sat in their backyard in jeans and hoodies. Yes- jeans and hoodies. The weather here in Minneapolis the past couple of days has been absolutely bizarre. Yesterday it was super overcast and drizzly and the temperature never even got into the 70’s! It’s the last week of July for gosh sakes!
Before we headed to their house, we made a feast. The highlight was a new recipe- salmon kebobs!
Couture cooking made simple, I should say.
They were super easy! And definitely worth making again. I was inspired by Skinnytaste’s Grilled Salmon Kebab recipe. Gina had me drooling the second I saw them on Pinterest. If you haven’t checked out Skinnytaste, DO IT. You’ll for sure be hooked…beautiful recipes and beautiful photography.
I made my weekly trip to Jerry’s Foods to pick up some meat and they were having a sale on salmon. I got a beautiful filet for only $6.40. #winning
I always go to Jerry’s not knowing what kind of meat I am going to get until I see it.
The kebabs were very simple to make. I started off by cubing the salmon and then skinning it (not sure if that is the right terminology). I thought it would be easier to skin each individual cube instead of trying to filet the entire thing. One day I will have that mastered 🙂
After that, I stuck 2 skewers in each cube of salmon (just like Gina did in her recipe) and then slid on a lemon. Then I repeated that process a couple of times. Viola.
For the seasoning, you would be absolutely fine with just salt and pepper because the lemon adds an incredible flavor. I used ground pepper, a little sea salt, and some basil. Very simple.
Then, I handed the kebabs off to Blake and he let the magic happen. He used a sheet of tin foil and sprayed it down with some non-stick cooking spray before placing the skewers on the grill. He let each side cook for about 3-5 minutes at 350F (depending on your grill). Salmon doesn’t need to cook for very long!
- - 1 pound of salmon
- - 2 lemons
- - 2 teaspoons salt
- - 2 teaspoons pepper
- - 2 teaspoons basil
- - 8 wooden or metal skewers
- 1. First, preheat your grill to 350F.
- 2. Then prepare salmon, but cutting it into 1 inch cubes. *Using a sharp knife for this part is important. I cut my salmon into cubes before filleting the scales off, but if you are comfortable, you can fillet it first.
- 3. Next, slice your lemons into small slices and set aside.
- 4. For each kebab, use 2 wooden skewers. Skewer 1 piece of salmon, then 1 lemon. Repeat 3 or 4 times. My 1 pound of salmon got 4 kebobs.
- 5. Season kebabs with salt, pepper, and basil.
- 6. Next, place a piece of tin foil on the grill and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Then, place the skewers on top and let cool for 3-5 minutes on each side. All grill differ, so you'll want to be very cautious.
I am excited to have left overs. I am thinking about throwing the salmon in an omelet!
Pin for later!