It’s Christmas Even, it’s Christmas Eve! I can’t tell you how nice it is to be with my family for more than a day. Both my mom and dad are from Chicago, so that is where our extended family is. Tradition is that we spend Christmas with my mom’s side (Christian) and my dad’s side (Jewish) joins!
I got an early Christmas gift from Julie from Deluxe Designs (who helped redesign FFF) a few weeks ago and I’ve just been waiting for THE perfect recipe to kick it off with…
Can you say Christmas morning breakfast?
I created this recipe for SunRich Naturals using their SoL Sunflower Beverage.
I’ve been using that stuff in everything lately 😉
- 1 cup ½ cup Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2t Cake spice
- 1t Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil, room temperature
- ¾ cup SoL Original Sunflower Beverage
- 2 Organic Eggs, large
- Begin by preheating your waffle iron to medium.
- Next, in a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients).
- Then, add in wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Once waffle maker is completely heated, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Then, pour batter onto waffle maker, close, and flip. Let cook for about 1 and ½ to 2 minutes. Flip waffle maker and open. If it needs a little be more time to cook, close and flip over, let cook for about 20-30 seconds longer.
- Use non-stick tongs to remove waffle from iron.
In this recipe I have made some healthy alterations. First and foremost, there is only a tablespoon of sweetener (molasses) in this recipe, and it’s for the taste! Second, I used coconut oil in place of canola or vegetable oil for a less refined oil. And third- I used SoL Sunflower Beverage in place of milk for a lactose-free option.
So many delicious holiday flavors in one dish. And SO worth pulling out your waffle iron on Christmas morning.
I am taking a little hiatus from blogging. My family and I will be heading up north to the U.P. for a few days after Christmas to ski at Big Powderhorn- a place that brings back lots of memories!
Growing up we spent a week a year at this place. I transitioned from downhill skiing to cross country skiing about 5 years ago and am SO excited. Big Powderhorn has some of the most amazing trails I’ve been on!
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and take some time off yourself 🙂 We all deserve a little break around this time of year!