CHILI FOR BREAKFAST.
Blake and I made a giant batch of Beef and Bean chili on Saturday- similar tasting to my Lazy Girl Turkey Salsa Chili, but with beef, more beans, and no salsa.
Then Sunday morning, we really got our money’s worth out of the chili and had it for breakfast. It’s like huevos rancheros on steroids. SO flavorful and oh so easy to make!
In the Beef and Bean Chili-
- Ground Beef
- Hominy (sort of like corn but cooler)
- Black Beans
- White Northern Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Diced Canned Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Chili Peppers
- Tons of Spices (we actually used a McCormick’s Chili Spice Packet)
I have a little secret. I am probably the worst sunny-side egg maker EVER. I can never get them to turn out pretty. SOOO I had to turn to Blake for some tips. Here’s what he said:
- Use lots of lube (yes, his words)…I used Olive Oil
- Turn the heat a little below medium heat
- Cover it with a lid.
These were some solid tips because I made 4 eggs that were just bomb.
- -1 pound of lean ground beef
- -1 large can of diced tomatoes
- -1 small can of tomato paste
- -1 can of hominy, rinsed
- -1 can of black beans, rinsed
- -1 can of kidney beans, rinsed
- -1 can of white northern beans, rinsed
- -1 tablespoon of green chilis, diced (or to taste)
- -1 packet of McCormick's Chili Seasoning OR your favorite chili spices
- -1/3 cup water
- ~3 cups of leftover chili
- -6 corn tortillas
- -6 eggs, sunny-side up
- -1/4 cup Mexican Style Cheese
- -1 avocado, sliced
- Place ground beef into a large pot. Using a wooden spoon, saute until brown. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes,
- Preheat oven to Broil (high). Then, spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place tortillas onto baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Place tortillas into oven and broil for about 2 minutes. Then, flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes (watch closely because these guys cook fast!).
- Next, top tortillas with about ½ cup of chili (heated in the microwave) and a sunny-side up egg. Garnish with some Mexican Style Cheese and sliced avocado.