I told you I’d be back with a chai recipe 😀 Ya’ll (I’ve feel like I’ve been saying ya’ll ever since I spent time with Miss Presley in LA), these apple chips are legit!
They are so flavorful, crunchy, and easy to make. The question is- do you have a dehydrator? If not…GET ONE!
This was the best more practical Christmas gift I ever got, minus my food processor which is actually currently broken.
So what do you need to make Homemade Chai Apple Chips?
- Lemon Juice
- Chai Spice Mix
I am an apple snob. I love my Galas. Red Delicious coming in a close second.
Really you can use any kind of apple you like. I love Red Delicious because they are naturally sweeter apples and crunchy.
This time around I made apple chips, they’re crunchy. The key is to slice your apples as thin as possible. If you want to make more of a chewy dried apple, slice them a little thicker. To prep them, all you have to do is toss em’ in some lemon juice, which will preserve their color while drying out in the dehydrator.
Then, add a few teaspoons of your homemade chai spice and toss. Place on your dehydrator for about 6 hours at 150 degrees and you’ve got yourself a yummy chai-ey snack!
- -6 apples, any kind will work
- -1 lemon (juiced)
- -2 teaspoons chai spice mix (recipe below)
- Begin by washing and patting dry your apples. Then, slice them thinly and as equally as thick as possibly. This will ensure they all need the same dry time. I kept the skin on.
- Next, toss your sliced apples in lemon juice, then sprinkle on chai spice mix.
- Place each apple slice on your dehydrating racks, spaced just far enough so they do not touch.
- Turn dehydrator to 150F and bake for about 6 hours or until your apple chips are crunchy. (Note: I flipped my apples at about the 3 hour mark, but this shouldn't be necessary).
I currently have these guys stored in a plastic bag in my kitchen cabinet. They should last for a few weeks 😀 ….if I don’t eat them first. <—that’s always my issue. I get the question- how long will this last? I usually have no idea because I can’t contain myself when I make something so yummy 😀
For other dried fruit inspired recipes- check out my archives. Plums, kiwi, mango, apple, cherries galore!
Do you have a dehydrator?
What is your favorite kitchen gadget?!