Happy 4th of July.
Almost. Kind of. Not really.
ThoughtI would jump the gun and get some red, white, and blue festive recipes up before the actual day arrives!
UHM. CAVEMAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES. WITH BACON.
IT’S A REAL THING.
- Grain Free – YES
- GLUTEN FREE- YES
- DAIRY FREE- YES
- PALEO- YES
- BACON- YES
The second I made that paleo candied bacon, I was plotting how I was going to use it in another recipe.
Cupcakes make the world go round. So does bacon. Put the two together and you’ve got yourself the BEST dessert on this planet.
For the record- I brought these babies to my yoga studio to eat after a class I was teaching…and MULTIPLE people gave me the two thumbs up. Good review…must share!
Serves: 10 cupcakes
Serving size: 1 cupcake
- 2 and ¼ cups almond meal (I use the Trader Joe's Brand)
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup egg whites
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- First, preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Then spray with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Then add in wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- spoon batter into cupcake tin, filling about ¾ of the way.
- Bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes or until the cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
These cupcakes came out surprisingly moist for having no oil in them. I also went the egg white route instead of using full eggs and I wouldn’t do it any other way.
I did want to make a note that they aren’t INCREDIBLY sweet. Feel free to add additional coconut sugar, but I actually prefer my cupcakes to be more rich than sweet. #justbeinghonest
Coconut oil spray is my best friend. You can pretty much find it anywhere these days. I know for a fact you can get it at Trader Joe’s.
For the frosting.
I use Against All Grain’s Recipe for Coconut Whipped Cream. 2 Ingredients: full fat coconut milk and honey. simple.
If you want to get a patriotic feel with these cupcakes and you’re a non bacon eater.
Just switch out the bacon for some strawberry slices. You won’t get the same sweet n’ salt affect, but still delicious!
Because I’m curious….
*Note, when I say diet…I am not inferring any kind of restriction. I’m simply interested in knowing what kind of eater you are!