Grain Free Applesauce Pancakes

Last week my 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Pancakes went viral. I hit some new pageview records on FFF! That’s always exciting 😀 The Huffington Post wrote a story on High Protein Vegetarian Breakfasts linking to the recipe, which was the catalyst of the whole thing.

A reader recently asked if you could sub applesauce instead of the mashed banana, which got me curious.

Grain Free Applesauce Pancakes a high protein breakfast that's #glutenfree and #paleo via

It is a fact that you either LOVE bananas or HATE them. I’d say there are many more banana lovers out there than haters, but I’ve come across a fair share of haters! It’s like people who don’t like dessert. WHAAAAAA?

These pancakes are a spin off of my 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Pancakes. They don’t have anything to do with peanuts or bananas, but they are grain free and made with and made with an egg base. The pancakes themselves are…

• vegetarian
  • gluten free
  • grain free
  • paleo

They’re made from a base of applesauce, eggs, and almond meal with a few other add ins.

2 words.

I un-paleoed mine by topping them with Greek yogurt, blueberries and maple syrup

I was going to whip up some coconut whipped cream, but I ran out of full-fat coconut milk. Whomp.

I do want to make a note. COOK THESE ON LOW/MEDIUM. I cooked my first round on medium/high and it didn’t work out too well. You want to let the pancakes fully cook on both sides, so they need a low temperature or you’re going to have some issues.

Oh so moist.

5 from 1 reviews
Grain Free Applesauce Pancakes
Prep time
Cook time
Nutritional Information: 379 calories | 21g carbs | 19g protein | 12g sugar
Serves: 5 medium size pancakes
  • 2 eggs, large
  • ⅓ cup apple sauce, unsweetened
  • ¼ cup almond meal
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ tablespoon maple syrup/honey/agave nectar
  1. First, whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl. Then add in applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
  2. Next, add in almond meal and baking powder and mix until combined.
  3. Spray a pan with coconut oil spray or nonstick cooking spray and heat to low/medium (THIS IS IMPORTANT). Once pan is fully heated. Spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter.
  4. Let cook for about 3-4 minutes on the first side, or until firm enough to flip. You'll want to move quickly when flipping with a spatula.
  5. Cook the second side for around 2-3 minutes or until fully cooked. Repeat 3 more times.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1

So tell me. Do you like bananas? *If you don’t like them I promise I won’t judge you 😀 Okay, maybe I will!

Subscribe by email to get free recipes and workouts delivered straight to your inbox!

Big props for getting the shout out for that recipe!!

These look delicious, and I’ve made a similar barch using a banana- I’ve found applesauce to be too liquid-like!

My stupid birthday cake was insulted with bits of banana in it. Fail.

• MamaPat says

Me too. I don’t get people who do not like bananas. But guess what. You should have beautiful roses with all those banana peels. Don’t forget them. Put those peels over the roots, maybe even once a week: just one
      banana at a time. Oh, they will love you for it. Just wait and see! Then, you can sit outside and enjoy your food viewing the roses!

2. Grandma says

hi lee. your pan cakes look delicious.. After reading all of your recipes, I am going to have to follow them. My problem is that I never remember to write down the ingredients and when I get to the grocery store, I forget what I am looking for. But I promise I am going to do it.

With my stomach problems, I am thinking about a diaticion . I have taken so mluch medication and nothing but healthy foods seem to work. This is going to cost me dearly but with their help I might be able to discontinue medication and save that way. I amlooking forward to reading your book.

The families are coming in today. Can,t wait to see your mom and Clay Boy and Michell;e and Ben and your dad, etc. Take care.. Say hello to Kansas (is that where you are going?).

All my love. Grandma

ps, Do ;you know how to make my printing on my computer? It is sooooo tiny that I can hardly read the messages I am typing.

Ooooh! I love bananas but I don’t always have perfectly ripe ones on hand. I do, however, have some unsweetened organic applesauce that is begging to be used! Can’t wait to try these 😉

These look beyond fabulous and cannot wait to make them! I LOVE bananas, but try to not eat them too often, because I tend to get bloated. They’re so good though before my long runs. Thanks for sharing! :)

ohmygosh, NEED! I’m traveling to NYC tomorrow, so I will totally make these for the ride down! Do you think protein powder could be used in here? Maybe half a scoop of protein and like 1/3 cup almond flour? I’ll have to experiment tonight!

YAYY!!!! I love banana free recipes!!!I usually sub pumpkin or applesauce for the banana if a recipe calls for it! These look amazing though!!!

oh and random side note, I don’t know what happened but you decided to not come to my mailbox for a whole week :(

If you want to keep it grain-free you could try any other nut flour such as cashew. As for using any kind of grain, the entire recipe would have to be changed because the properties in flours are so different!

• Deb says

I can’t do the nut flours either (nut sensitivities). I’d LOVE it if you could post a new recipe using gluten-free flour cause this one sounds so num-num. I’m not a creative cook. I can only follow recipes

7. Kathleen Loveland says

Deathly allergic to bananas! So glad you did a revision with applesauce, as I make my own and always have it on hand.

YAY! So glad you loved them 😀 😀 I’ve been all over the apple cinnamon pancakes lately…I’ve got another recipe coming soon (not grain-free, though!).

8. Jennifer says

I’ve just made these for the first time! I’ve been searching for paleo pancake recipes and just couldn’t find one I like…these are by far the best I’ve ever had! I LOVE THEM! Thank you thank you thank you!

Sweet Lee of all things that are delicious and, well, healthy! These pancakes absolutely rock my world! Finally had the chance to make them this morning for breakfast, which in my opinion is the perfect day seeing as it’s a Monday. I didn’t have to put any maple syrup or honey on them because they’re perfectly sweet from the applesauce. I threw a few strawberries on top and man, am I loving Monday?! Thanks! 😀

10. Carrie says

Just a question. Trying to find thing my daughter would like to eat since we are now carb counting for diabetes. She loves pancakes. Thank you for the carb count on your recipes. The picture shows 6 pancakes is the count you have per pancake or for the six shown? Was wandering on the Peanut pancakes and the blueberry as well. She loves all these ingredients.

11. Carra says

I give this recipe a 4 out of 5. Only 3 of my 5 pancakes turned out – the flipping process and cook time is VERY tedious. The edges of my pancakes never fully firmed up, so flipping was difficult. In the future, I would only make it on special occasions, and will follow the same cooking process as Austrian Kaiserschmarrn (to avoid the flipping). They are, however, very delicious if you like apple sauce. I can’t wait to try it with banana!!

12. Tara says

So good! I made these as a treat for myself this morning and topped them with some pumpkin butter. I have to confess… after I had two cooked, I started eating them while waiting for the others to finish. They looked too tempting. I have a little double sided frying pan that makes it so easy to flip pancakes, no spatula required.

13. Nikki Fahey says

what is almond meal? I am allergic to nuts has anyone used flour? any suggestions on the best flour? or baking with protein powder? I am so bad at this good thing

Almond meal is pretty much just ground up almonds! I haven’t tried this recipe with flour….but a lot of my other pancake recipes don’t use nuts!

14. Sarah says

I made these with only the eggs, almond flour, and applesauce, and omitted the last three ingredients, and they turned out great! Easy to flip and they firmed up perfect for me and were fluffy and delicious!

15. Sarah Lyons says

I never leave comments… but on this… I had to. Attempting a whole new lifestyle of eating cleaner and mostly grain free, but missing the hearty breakfast options that would hurt my belly. Made these and WOW… I couldn’t stop eating them… well that’s until they were ALL GONE from my 3 year old and 11 month old. YUP… toddler and baby approved recipe… now that is something to cheer about! Thank you! So easy to make and had no trouble flipping. waited patiently 2-3 min each side on low-med. Perfect! THANK YOU!

AHHHHH this comment absolutely totally made my day! I am totally the opposite and have no patience when it comes to flipping pancakes. I always flip too soon!

16. Katie says

Hello! I am allergic to almonds….do you think it is possible to use coconut flour in the place of the almond? Thanks!

17. Stephanie says

I was really excited for this recipe because it seemed so simple and I love applesauce. The texture of the batter is really good for pancakes. I followed the directions to a T and sprayed my pan with coconut oil over low/med heat. The flavor was ok but the pancake turned out to be very rubbery and not moist, also it was gritty from the almond flour.

18. Stephanie says

I LOVE these waffles. I have been sharing your recipe to a dear friend of mine. Yummy recipes always need to be shared. I have been tracking my calories lately and I just added your waffles on my recipe list. I noticed the sodium content was a whopping 750 milligrams. Who knew banking powder was so high in sodium. Well, I didn’t. My question is can I make these waffles with a baking powder substitute?

Hi Stephanie! That is a really good question. I think baking powder is necessary because it needs a rising agent. You could try it without and see what happens, though!

19. Tracy says

Hi! I am making these right now and they smell and look amazing. I can’t wait to try them! I wanted to share that my batter was very runny and I wondered if it was the right consistency. I am happy to share that it was just right, in case anyone else has the same question.

Have you tried making a big batch and freezing these? I am thinking this would make a great school-morning breakfast, but only if I could reheat from the freezer. Thoughts?

Hi Tracy! Thanks so much for sharing that tip! I have not personally made and froze this specific pancake, but I don’t see why not! I would say to reheat, I would throw them in the microwave on defrost for a few minutes!

20. Marion says

Love the taste! It is tricky to handle the baking of this pancake as a whole … texture is quite challenging. Why does it fall apart so easily? Anyhow, crumble taste good too!

21. Tina Tobin says

Is there a difference between “almond meal” and “almond flour”? Do you suggest flipping these once? Didn’t understand “repeat three times”.

Almond flour is a bit finer than almond meal. I’ve only tried it with meal (the kind from Trader Joe’s). Flip 3 times just means flip all the pancakes on the pan :)

22. Cindy Sandberg says

For those of you looking for a substitute for the nut meal… I just made these, substituting a combo of flax meal and chia meal(one or the other would work fine, I just happened to have both on hand) an they turned out great! A little more most and “eggy” than a grain-based pancake, but that’s too be expected. Added some cinnamon and the flavor was delish!