FUN FACT- My Dad used to call me spud as a kid. As a family, we had a favorite restaurant in town (New Berlin Family Restaurant <— I grew up in New Berlin, WI) and I would order (I kid you not):
- A Baked Potato
- Hash Browns
- And steal my sisters fries
I am thinking about changing all of my social media handles to FitFoodie_Spud. I wonder if they are taken 😉
The day I learned POTATOES WERE BAD FOR YOU was like the worst day ever. Then I did some researched and realized, okay they aren’t THAT bad. It’s really what you do with them and what you top them with.
Insert —> Crock-Pot Turkey Chili.
Top your taters with something protein and fiber-filled and it will cancel out the starchiness of the potato. Uh…I think.
That’s what I do at least! I also top it with some plain Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of low fat cheese, avocado and about a cup of salsa (not pictured).
Crock-Pot Three Bean Turkey Chili Baked Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
For the Chili
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey, extra lean
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can White Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can Tomato Paste
- 1 small can Green Chilis
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1.5 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Baked Potatoes + Toppings
- 8 Medium-sized baked potatoes
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Low-Fat Colby Jack Cheese
- Place all of the chili ingredients in your crock-pot and mix until combined. Turn to low and let cook for 8 hours OR turn to high and let cook for 4-5 hours.
- For the baked potatoes, you can either nuke them for 3-5 minutes each, or follow THESE DIRECTIONS on how to do them in the oven.
- Top with Greek yogurt, avocado, more paprika, cheese, and salsa!
You could also do this with sweet potatoes if that is your jam. I had to go classic this time, because a good baked potato every once in a while never did any harm!
Plus- Blake prefers normal potatoes over sweet…I think.
Normal Potatoes vs. Sweet Potato. What is your jam?
PS: I am out of the country for the next week! I left yesterday for Nelson, BC Canada to spend a week at the Mountain Trek Resort. So just take this as my Out of Office Response for the next 7 days. You can follow my adventure on Instagram where I will be capturing the beautiful scenery of BC (we’re talking hot springs, mountains, and more!) .