This bison chili is chock full of veggies and hardied up with short grain brown rice to make the best tasting chili ever!
This quite possibly is the best tasting chili I have ever made.
That says a lot because I make it at least twice a month during the fall months. I love it, Blake loves it, and 2-year olds love it! I made this chili when Blake and his buddy Jeff went hunting for the weekend. I stayed back with Abbie (Jeff’s wifey) and her two little ones Charlie and Cara for the weekend. It works out because Abbie is pretty much me but 8 inches shorter. She is an avid runner, yogi, master chef in the kitchen, gardener, and all around mom rockstar. Anyways- we made this delicious chili and Cara (the 1 and a half year old) couldn’t stop eating it!
All I gotta say is that my kids BETTER eat like hers do. They stuff their faces with bananas, avocado, hummus, etc.
Fortunately for the guys- we saved some for them when they got home. We give them chili, they give us pheasants.
Sounds like a fair trade? errrr?
Inside the chili we used bison, which I picked up at Whole Foods, a plethora of beans, short grain brown rice (THA BEST), and lots and lots of veggies.
I guess you could consider this a stew chili?
Honestly- what makes a stew a stew and chili, chili? #nooneknows
On top I shredded some cheese, plopped on a dollup of full-fat Freek yogurt, some green onions, and red chilies from Abbie’s garden.
Healthy Bison Chili
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound organic bison
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 2 15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- ~3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can of northern white beans
- 1 15 oz. can of black eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or minced garlic)
- 2-3 tablespoons minced green chiles (or more depending on your palette)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring 1 cup of short grain brown rice and 2 cups of chicken stock to a rolling boil. Cover and turn down heat to low. Let simmer for 15 minutes (note: you will not cook the rice all the way).
- In the mean time, prepare meat. First, finely dice 1/2 a yellow onion. Then, heat 1 tablespoon of EVOO to medium//high and sauté onion and garlic paste for about a minute. Add in meat and sauté until brown. Set aside.
- Prep (peeled) sweet potato and celery by chopping into bite-sized pieces. Then, place vegetable and and beans in with the rice. *Note: the rice will NOT be cooked all the way, there will still be some liquid in the pot. Then, add in diced tomatoes, green chilis, and tomato past and mix until combined.
- Finally, add in spices and mix again.
- Let simmer on low for about 45 minutes to an hour so that the vegetables can get tender.
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 7
- Fat: 10
- Protein: 22
O0oooo chili for days.
It really does get better and better as you reheat it 😀
What kind of extras do you like to throw in your chili to make it THE BEST CHILI EVER?