Long time no talk, friends! I am finally home safe and sound in Minneapolis. Blake and I had a fabulous holiday in Kansas with his family. We ate tons of yummy food (including some of the BEST Mexican), spent some quality time with the fam, and even got in 2 yoga classes and a run! Woot for us!
We arrived back in Minneapolis Friday at 5PM, and 10 minutes (literally) later my parents got to our house. They drove up from Cleveland to spend the rest of the holiday weekend with us. Yesterday started off with an early morning spin class at Surge, followed by doing returns at the mall. I think I could have legitimately spent 5 hours at the mall, but we had the boys with us, which really sped things up 😉
So this recipe…
It’s all my favorite things in one dish and that’s the truth!
You really can’t beat a brussels sprouts + sweet potato combo, and the addition of quinoa and chicken sausage is ga ga ga genius. Lately, I’ve been adding a little rice vinegar to my quinoa bakes to really bring the flavors out.
Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar is my go-to.
As I was making and photographing this dish, I realized I SHOULD (…a woulda coulda) have seasoned the veggies first, to make sure everything was 100% coated with EVOO and spices. I added in the directions that I “would” have placed them into a gallon-sized bag, added in the EVOO and spices and coated them that way.
Instead I had to make shift stir everything together.
I’ve made quinoa bakes in the past with chicken sausage, and usually I use precooked sausage. This time, I used uncooked and it turned out just great! So for those that are wondering…either works! Fit Foodie tested and approved.
Any kind of chicken sausage would work, but my fav is apple 😀
Such a great meal for busy people. You could even have everything prepped the night before (or morning) and pop it in when you get home from work. I’d say this serves around 4…so if you are a single lady this would be a perfect meal to make at the beginning of the week.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa, rinsed, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 4 Apple Chicken Sausages, fully cooked (uncooked will work too!)
- 2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 small sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons Nakano Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 tablespoon garlic (or more if you love garlic like me!)
- 3 teaspoons Italian spices
- salt and pepper, to taste (I was generous)
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Next, prep veggies by peeling and dicing sweet potatoes, chopping onion, and shredding brussels sprouts. Place veggies in a gallon size plastic bag. Add in EVOO, spices, salt and pepper, and shake. Toss the veggies until everything is fully coated.
- Place quinoa on the bottom of your casserole dish. Then, add in broth and rice vinegar. Place veggies on top of quinoa followed by sliced apple chicken sausages.
- Bake at 350ºF for 60 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cooked.
- Serving Size: 1/4 casserole
- Calories: 515
- Sugar: 11
- Fat: 21
- Carbohydrates: 61
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 21
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Mizkan’s Nakano Rice Vinegar. I was compensated and all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you so much for supporting Fit Foodie Finds and making my dreams a reality!
Check out more of FFF’s most popular quinoa casseroles…