Make these cheese-free vegan sweet potato quesadillas that are packed with protein and flavor and topped with a delicious cilantro avocado spread!
I officially love the city of Toronto and the country of Canada.
I legit had the best week ever with Davida. We got SO MUCH work done and I can’t wait to share with you all our latest project! One thing that I realized after spending a week with Davida is that we have the same exact eating habits.
We eat when we are hungry and we eat what we are craving.
And yes, that means lots and lots of popcorn. Because who doesn’t crave popcorn for every meal?
I wasn’t sure what to call this because these don’t have cheese in them or have an ingredient that resembles cheese. They look and pretty much are a form of quesadillas without the cheese.
I got the most amazing whole wheat spinach tortillas from Trader Joe’s and that’s what I used as my shell. Green is my jam lately.
Speaking of green. I topped them with my Cilantro Lime Avocado Spread. Which, BTW. Is the most legit recipe I’ve ever made. Thing is you guys. It’s guacamole, but I called it something else to see if it would get more traction. It TOTALLY worked. AND- only one person has ever called me out on the fact that the recipe is actually guacamole 😉
So this week is actually bat sh*z crazy for me. I found out last week that I am going on a cruise with 10 other food bloggers and I leave on Sunday morning! Nothing like traveling back to back. I am so excited for this trip because I get to bring Blake with me and I get to go to countries I’ve never been before! We will be going on a Princess Cruise through the Caribbean visiting The Princess Cays, St. Thomas, and The Bahamas.
3 days after we get back form the cruise, we head to Cleveland to visit my parents (this trip was planned first).
If I had a real job I would be half way through my PTO already!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- ½ jalapeño, diced
- ⅓ cup salsa
- First, preheat oven to 400ºF, then line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Prep sweet potatoes by washing and patting dry. Then, chop into bite size pieces. Mince onion. Spread vegetables onto baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO.
- Then, sprinkle on garlic, chili powder, paprika, and salt and pepper and toss with your hands.
- Bake at 400ºF for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have reached desired texture.
- Place quinoa, vegetable broth, and diced jalapeño in a medium size pot. Then, bring to a boil. Cover and turn down to low. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the liquid has absorbed.
- Add in black beans and salsa and mix.
- First, spread on some Cilantro Lime Avocado Spread. Then, place ~ ⅓ cup of vegetables and ~1/3 cup quinoa/black bean mixture on top of a tortilla shell. Then, place another tortilla on top of that.
- Heat a large sauce pan to medium heat and spray with coconut oil spray. Cook both sides for 1-2 minutes or until they begin to brown. Serve with more Cilantro Lime Avocado Spread and a sprinkle of paprika.