Spice up your typical mac n’ cheese and make thisAvocado Mac and Cheese with Sun Dried Tomatoes made with whole grain pasta and balls of mozzarella.
YOU GUYS HAVE TO TRY THIS CREAMY AVOCADO SAUCE.
It is so delicious
I could go on and on and on. I just need you to try it so that we can all be on the same page.
Growing up, Mac was a staple in my house. It was always a fight between Kraft and Velveeta. Can you guys which side I was on? This definitely takes classic Mac up a notch…maybe even two!
The mozzarella balls.
Oh, the mozzarella balls.
So flipping good.
Also- the sun dried tomatoes were not only an incredible pop of color, but an incredible pop of flavor.
Do not skim on those bad boys!
Avocado Mac and Cheese with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Nutrition Information (per serving): 485 calories | 20g fat | 60g carbs | 13g fiber | 5g sugar | 20g protein
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 14.5 oz whole grain macaroni noodles (or gluten-free noodles)
- 2.5 avocados
- 5 basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chicken/vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 8 oz. mozzarella, diced into small squares
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- First, preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a casserole dish with olive oil spray. Then, follow the directions on the back of your pasta box to cook the macaroni noodles.
- As your noodles are cooking, prep avocado sauce.
- Place whole avocados, basil leaves, garlic, lime juice, and vegetable stock in a high-power blender or food processor. Mix until smooth. You may need to add a few more tablespoons of vegetable stock because you’ll want your sauce to be creamy. Set aside.
- Chop mozzarella into small squares and dice sun dried tomatoes.
- Once macaroni noodles have fully cooked, drain. Place in a large bowl. Add in mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes and mix. Finally pour on sauce and mix again.
- Transfer into your casserole dish and top with additional mozzarella chunks. Bake at 400º for about 10 minutes, just enough for the cheese to melt.
- Top with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
Eat within a day or two. Best if eaten ASAP. The avocados are going to brown, naturally.