Pick up some fresh berries and make this delicious healthy berry crisp that’s made with real food, 100% whole grains, and tons of flavor!
I had the pleasure of spending the last week with my parents in Cleveland for a little family visit. My parents moved from my home town of New Berlin, Wisconsin 3 years ago to the Cleveland area for my dad’s job. It’s always interesting going “home” because it’s not really where I grew up at all! My mom and dad are really fun people and 2 of my best friends.
This time around we made our classic trip to Ohio City to go to the Westside Market. If you follow me on Snapchat (fitfoodiefinds), you will have seen an inside look of how amazing this market is. Minneapolis has great farmer’s market, but the Westside Market has the most amazing amount of meat and specialty food vendors I’ve ever seen! We picked up some delicious Sweet Italian Ground Pork for my mom’s delicious spaghetti and some shish kebab meet. Nomz. The parents and I also made a visit to Headlands State Park, which is right along Lake Erie. One of my Cleveland blogger friends (Hey Jessie!) was teaching a PiYo class on the beach. YES PLEASE. The mom and I got our workouts on and Daddio took teh dogs for a walk.
Twas a great trip, but weird to be “home” without my siblings. One of the things I made while at home was this delicious berry crisp with berries we got from the market. I modified my Apple Plum Crisp (favorite FFF dessert EVER) by pretty much just changing the fruit.
This dessert was made on Father’s day because my Daddio love dessert…especially a la mode.
Speaking of Father’s Day and a la mode…who else LOVES DAIRY QUEEN CAKE?! I know the #SummerSWEATSeries is happening right now, but this girl can’t pass up a dad worth celebrating.
Lightened-Up Berry Crisp
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
For the Filling
- 1.5 cup fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
For the Crumble
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF. Next, berries by rinsing and patting dry. Then, quarter the strawberries and place all berries in an 8×8 inch glass baking dish. A bread pan will work, too!
- Add in almond meal, honey, and orange juice. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Set aside.
- To make the topping, melt butter and coconut oil together. Then transfer into a medium-sized bowl and add in the rest of the topping ingredients. Mix until everything is combined. It should be chunky.
- Sprinkle topping on top of fruit making sure things are spread evenly.
- Bake at 375ºF for about 25 minutes until the crumble topping starts to brown.
- Serving Size: 1/4 crisp
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 25
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 4
Crisps are actually THE BEST summertime dessert EVER.
Confession: I usually eat the leftovers for breakfast with a scoop of Greek yogurt on top. #sorrynotsorry