Have you cake and protein too! Make these healthy peanut butter cup cupcakes with 100% whole grains, all-natural sugars, and tons of protein!
GET EXCITED for this recipe folks. I am super exciting to be partnering with Betterbody Foods today for these delicious Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes topped with protein peanut butter frosting. Way back when FFF was just a wittle baby, I met the founder of Better Body Foods at The Blend Retreat. At that time, they only had one product. Today, they’ve got a plethora of amazingness and the best part is, it’s all in bulk!
You guys know how much I love peanut flour. Well Betterbody Foods has their own variation (plus a chocolate version too!).
These cupcakes swirl together chocolate batter and peanut butter batter to give you that peanut butter cup deliciousness all in one bite. They’re made with…
- 100% whole grains
- all-natural sweeteners
- no butter
- real food
I decided to make my own protein rich frosting by using PB Fit, a little bit of honey, and almond milk, to make a spreadable peanut frosting that’s low-fat and oober delicious.
This stuff is delicious eaten alone and would even be the PERFECT protein-filled post workout snack. Frosting = protein. Yes.
You can find all Better Body Foods products Sam’s Club, Walmart, Kroger, and more! Use their store locator HERE to search for retailers near you. My favorite BBF products are the Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, PB Fit, and Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
- ¾ cup ground oat flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- The rest of the base layer (after 1 cup is taken out for the peanut butter layer)*
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF. Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then in a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients, minus the coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Melt coconut oil and add to the batter. Mix.
- Spoon out 1 cup of the base batter into a separate bowl. Then, add in peanut butter powder and peanut butter and mix until combined.
- Using the rest of the batter, mix in ¼ cup cocoa powder and 1 additional tablespoon of honey.
- Spray a cupcake tin with nonstick cooking spray (I used coconut oil cooking spray). Then, spoon in 2 heaping tablespoons of the chocolate layer. Add 1 heaping tablespoon of the peanut butter layer on top of the chocolate.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together. If your frosting is too thin, add more peanut flour. If your frosting is too thick, add more almond milk.