Need to amp up your veggie intake? Make this Whole Wheat Pasta Primavera with Bacon for a full serving of veggies and whole-grains for the most perfect Spring pasta dish EVER.
I used to be that girl who was afraid to eat pasta. I was afraid to eat pasta because pasta = carbs and carbs are bad.
WHAT WAS I THINKING?
I am so glad that I have shifted my mindset about food over the past 5 years. No foods are “bad”… there are just some that are better than others 😛
I loveeeeee pasta because it’s so easy to make and you can make it so many different ways. I grew up in a house where we ate spaghetti and meatballs at least once a week. My mom makes THE BEST homemade meatballs on this planet and fun fact….I’m going to my sister’s tonight (it’s Tuesday) and we’re going to make sketti and meatballs. YASSSS.
Enough about spaghetti and meatballs…THIS pasta is LEGIT, people. We used a whole-grain noodle, tons of seasonal veggies, and BACON. Oh, I almost forgot…butter and white wine, too!
I was at Target the other day getting all of the delicious produce for this recipe and THEY WERE OUT OF ASPARAGUS. It’s like the worst feeling EVER when you get everything you need for a recipe except for 1 ingredient and have to go to another store to find it. This happens at least once a week in the Fit Foodie Kitchen. HMPH.
I think my record is like 4 stores in a day. I hope that never happens again.
- 2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 pieces of bacon, thick-cut
- 1 cup asparagus, coarsly chopped
- 1 cup broccolini, coarsly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups kale, packed, coarsly chopped
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced (~1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper, taste (we were generous!)
- Toppings: parmesan cheese
- Cook penne pasta by following the directions on the box. Set aside.
- Prep veggies by coarsely chopping asparagus, broccolini, kale, and cherry tomatoes. Set aside.
- Prep bacon by chopping into large chunks. Then, place on a large skillet and turn to medium/high heat. Cook bacon for 5ish minutes, or until cooked. Remove from heat.
- Clean pan and then add in olive oil, butter, and minced garlic. Turn to medium/high heat. Once the minced garlic begins to bubble, add in onion and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the veggies and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until almost fully cooked.
- Add in white wine and spices and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Finally, add cooked penne pasta and bacon into the vegetables and mix.
- Serve with parmesan cheese
Before I go…Remember that one time Sister and I went to Jamaica for a sister trip? The Funjet videos are FINALLY LIVE! I’ve been waiting for them to come out so I could give you a glimpse of our trip. Man do I wish I had that nice bronze right about now 😀 Check it out —>
PPS: I am traveling this weekend at a blogger retreat in Michigan. Follow along on Snapchat (FitFoodieFinds) or search for #FreshCoastReatreat on Instagram. WOOT.