Chicken Tortilla Soup never got easier AND HEALTHIER! Throw everything in your crock-pot and you’ve got dinner ready before you know it!
I LOVE SOUP AND SOUP LOVES ME. I actually didn’t realize this until last year. I was never much of a soup girl growing up. It wasn’t until I started hangin’ out with The Healthy Maven (who really need to change her blog name to The Soupy Maven) that I realized how much I loved soup. I think I had a few bad experiences way back when making soup where I didn’t use enough spices so it was really bland. No one likes a bland soup. This recipe is far from that!
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is made in the crock-pot and has a tomato base. Crushed tomatoes are essential ingredient #1 for delicious chicken tortilla soup. Essential ingredient #2 is chicken broth! Gotta thin that shiz out a bit. #3 is the chicken itself…because it wouldn’t be chicken tortilla soup without the chicken. Essential ingredient(s) #4 is…SPICES.
I’m telling you, spices really are the key to any soup. What’s in this one?
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
I guarantee you have all of those staples in your pantry. And if you don’t- I suggest you pick those up ASAP!
I’d say the main reason why I love this soup recipe is because you throw everything UNCOOKED in the crock-pot and let it work its magic. Set it and forget it, AMIRITE?
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup with Kale
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8
For the Soup
- 16 oz chicken breasts (~2 large)
- 4 cups kale, deboned
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 15 oz. can sweet corn
- 1 4.5 oz. can green chiles
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-3 tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot (depending on how hot you like it)
- 48 fl. oz. chicken broth (~6 cups)
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
For the spicy tortilla strips
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Soup
- Place all ingredients (minus the Greek yogurt) in your crock-pot. Turn to high and let cook for 3-4 hours*. Once your chicken is cooked all the way through, remove and shred. Then, place back in crock-pot. Add Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
For the spicy tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Then, thinly slice tortillas to create your strips. Toss in olive oil and then sprinkle on spices and toss again. Bake tortilla strips at 400ºF for 5 minutes. Toss and then put back in for 5-10 more minutes until golden brown.
*Alternatively, cook on low for 8 hours.
*For a lower sodium count- use low sodium chicken broth
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe (~1.5 cups)
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 611
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 24
Now let’s take a look at everyone else’s healthy crock-pot recipes! I love partnering with my blogging friends on posts like this because the are oh-so talented and their recipes ROCK. I can’t wait to try every single one of these!
Slow Cooker Sausage Kale Soup from Eating Bird Food
Come home to a warm and comforting meal with this slow cooker sausage kale soup! It’s packed with flavor and a breeze to whip up.
Thai Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup from Food Faith Fitness
This crock pot chicken noodle soup has a Thai spin! It uses butternut squash noodles to keep it gluten free, paleo friendly and under 300 calories and 3 SmartPoints! A low-carb option is included!
Paleo Creamy Broccoli Soup from Running to the Kitchen
This easy creamy broccoli soup is rich, comforting and topped with crispy shallots. It’s also paleo, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan!
Green Chile Vegetable Soup from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
This Green Chile Vegetable Soup is light, flavorful, and packed with hearty veggies! It’s the perfect meatless soup to keep you warm all season long! Customize this soup with your favorite veggies, beans, and/or gluten-free pasta, too!
Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup from Cotter Crunch
This Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup is one flavorful and healthy soup to keep you warm this season. An easy soup recipe for a nutritious meal-in-a-bowl. Paleo, vegan, and Whole30 friendly!