There’s nothing better than a hot cup of cocoa on a chilly fall day! Give this Healthy Honey Lavender Hot Chocolate recipe a try; you’ll love every sip.
One of the things that Linley and I didn’t do nearly enough this past summer/fall was spend time at the river house. What river house? Read this post. It’s such a serene place surrounded by nature, plus the St. Croix River Valley is one of the most beautiful places when the leaves change! I think one of my favorites parts about the river house is THE BEES (even though I’m petrified of them). Linley’s family harvests honey every year from 2 hives on the property – – Oh, do I love The St. Croix Queens. I just ordered a quart and am still savoring some from last year!
Okay- so this honey is amazing and one of the things Lin and I have been obsessed with is making our own honey simple syrup! It’s super simple to do and you can just keep it in a jar in your fridge. Honey > cane sugar (nutrition and flavor) and I haven’t ever seen honey simple syrup at the grocery store. Hence- we got all Martha and made our own– lavender infused (also used in our honey lavender lemonade recipe).
So for this recipe in particular– you will need to make your own honey lavender simple syrup, but don’t worry it’s super simple and we explain how to do it in the recipe. The good news is- you can keep that stuff for like a month in the fridge. All you really need to do is boil honey + filtered water + dried lavender and you’ve got yourself a sweetener that can be used in coffee, lattes, lemonade, hot chocolate, etc!
I used almond milk in this recipe, but you can really use any kind of milk you want – coconut, cow’s, soy…whatever you desire!
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ cup all-natural honey
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ounce 60% dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons honey lavender simple syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon honey (or more if desired)
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and turn to medium/high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stirring consistently until honey dissolves into water.
- Place into a container and into the fridge. Let sit overnight or for at least 8 hours to let the lavender infuse even more. Strain lavender before serving.
- Place 2 cups of almond milk and 1 ounce of dark chocolate in a small sauce pan and turn to medium/high heat. Whisk until dissolved.
- Add in cocoa powder and honey lavender simple syrup and whisk until dissolved. Continue whisking until hot cocoa comes to a simmer.
- Place 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1 teaspoon of honey in a medium size bowl.
- Slice your vanilla bean in half (hot dog way) and scrape out the vanilla bean paste from the inside. Add to bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to whip until heavy peaks are created (about 3-5 minutes).
I hope you make this and LOVE IT. If you do- don’t forget to tag @FitFoodieFinds on IG and use the #FitFoodieFinds hashtag!