Meal prep like a vegetarian boss and make these Roasted Brussels Sprout Polenta Bowls fully equipped with caramelized onions and kale!
How is it already the week of Thanksgiving? Mark and I got into Milwaukee last night and will be in town until tomorrow night. Then, we’re heading south to my parent’s house in the Chicago-land area for Thanksgiving…WOOT. On top of Thanksgiving itself, we’ve got a really fun long weekend planned, which includes:
- Running a Turkey Trot the morning of Thanksgiving
- Going to STOMP on Broadway in DT Chicago
- Going to the Gopher/Badger game in Madison
Oh, and I get to see Ambitious Kitchen for a couple of hours. YASSSSS plz. So follow along on the FitFoodieFinds Snapchat to get insider on what I’m up to! It’s gonna be a fun one.
Otay recipe time. Get this- this is the first time I’ve actually ever made polenta in my own kitchen. It’s taken me a whole 26 years. I’m not sure why, but I’ve always been afraid of polenta…even though it’s super simple to make and cook with! All you need is a tube of polenta (I prefer Ancient Harvest) and some chicken/vegetable broth! Slowly add broth to your polenta over a medium-heat burner until creamy.
IT’S THAT EASY.
I’ve been on a mission to eat vegetarian once a week…not for any other reason but to EAT MORE VEGGIES. If I take away my animal protein, then it’s easier to force myself to eat more veggies. Sad but true. To this day, I still have a hard time eating enough vegetables to meet the quota. Dats why I LOVE BOWLS. If it’s prepped…I will eat!
So these polenta bowls are made with:
- FFF’s Balsamic Sea Salt Roasted Brussels Sprouts (bc they’re a reader favorite)
- Caramelized Onions
- Sautéed Kale
- Micro Greens
- Harissa Sauce
If you’ve never tried harissa sauce…GET ON THAT. It is LYFE. My favorite brand? Stonewall Kitchen.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 4 cups kale, deboned and packed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 18oz. tube of polenta
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth
- Micro greens
- harissa sauce
- Follow the directions for FFF's Balsamic Sea Salt Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over low/medium heat.
- Add sliced red onion to the pan. Let cook for 6-8 minutes (stirring occasionally) over low/medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- In the same frying pan as the onions, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add kale.
- Season with garlic powder and salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Just long enough to wilt the kale, before it gets soggy. Set aside.
- Open one tube of polenta, cut it into chunks, and place into a medium pot.Turn to medium/high heat.
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth at a time to the polenta and mix continuously until creamy (about 1-2 cups in total, depending on how creamy you like your polenta). Once creamy, remove from heat and set aside.
I hope you all have THE BEST Thanksgiving ever! If you make any FFF recipes this week…don’t forget to tag @FitFoodieFinds and #FitFoodieFinds! I love seeing your creations.