Love Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Brown Rice? Make your own at home with just a few simple ingredients and a ton of flavor!
The day Chipotle started making cilantro lime BROWN rice was the best day ever! I was inspired to make this recipe for 2 reasons:
1. Blake and I got Chipotle 2 weeks ago and as we were waiting in line….one of the chefs was preparing fresh cilantro brown rice. With FRESH ingredients. You could actually watch her chop the cilantro and squeeze the lime. Most other places would just use a batch of pre-made rice. This is why Chipotle is so delicious, because everything is FRESH, including their meat.
2. We had a departmental pot-luck with a Taco theme. This gave me the perfect excuse to make Cilantro Lime Brown Rice 🙂 And so I did!
I used fresh ingredients just like Chipotle. Who woulda ever thunk fresh food tastes so good? (uhhhh….joking!)MY OTHER VIDEOS
I actually did a report on Chipotle my senior year in college, so I think I am a little bit biased at how amazingly awesome this company is.
Here is what my Taco mosh pit looked like yesterday. We had all the fixings: taco meat that was actually a Mexican recipe, fresh guac, fresh toppings, etc. MMM! We decided we are going to do a monthly pot-luck. YES!
I will say I had a little trouble getting my rice to be “perfect.” It is so hit or miss with brown rice. I make it the same way every single time and sometimes it comes out perfect and others it comes out a tad bit crunchy. I heard that a rice cooker is the trick to perfect rice every time.
Copycat: Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- In a medium-sized pot, on medium/high heat, bring 2 cups of brown rice and 4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Then, reduce heat to low and cover for about 35 minutes, or until all of the water has evaporated.
- Transfer brown rice to a medium-sized bowl and let cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once the rice has cooled a little bit, cut a lime in half and squeeze lime juice onto rice. Do this with both sides of the lime and mix.
- Then, chop fresh cilantro. Add about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro to your rice. (I just grabbed a handful and that worked perfectly.)
- Next, add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of sea salt and MIX.
- Serve warm.
One last thing before I go….GOPHERS WON LAST NIGHT! Of course, they played at 9 PM and I was already in bed, but the first thing I did this morning was check. Here’s my bracket (too much red).