Make these matcha green tea waffles for a healthy, easy breakfast that is gluten and dairy free! Best part is, they are green and perfect for St. Patty’s Day.
Member the matcha powder I used in my Raw Mint Brownies? I thought I’d put it to good use and make it the star of another recipe.
I feel like this recipe is a kid’s dream. Why? Uhhh because the waffles are green. Duh.
I love making waffles. It’s one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast, so I always make sure to make a big batch so that I have extra! It’s also much less of a mess than pancakes.
These waffles are gluten and butter-free. I used Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Flour blend, but any will work. These guys are sweetened with honey because it pairs PERFECTLY with the matcha flavor. You could of course use maple syrup, but I highly suggest stickin’ with the honey.
Matcha Green Tea Waffles
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 waffles (depending on how big your waffle maker is)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons matcha powder
- First, preheat your waffle maker to low/medium.
- Then, whisk two large eggs in a large bowl. Add in the rest of the wet ingredients (minus the coconut oil, we will add this last!) and mix. Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix to combine. Finally add in coconut oil and mix until smooth.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto waffle maker. Let cook for about 2-2.5 minutes. Repeat.
- Top with coconut whipped cream, honey, and a few dairy-free chocolate chips!
On top I whipped up some coconut whipped cream and sprinkled on some dairy-free chocolate chips for the win.
I wanted to make 1 note about cooking your waffles. Do it on LOW/MED! I can set my waffle maker to a certain heat, and it always turns out best when I cook it at low/medium. If you cook it any hotter, you will risk burning your waffles. It will also discolor the outer layer, which is no bueno, especially for these green guys!