Have your breakfast and veggies too! Make these Healthy Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Waffles for a seasonal summer breakfast treat.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Chocolate Chunk Waffles
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1.5 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed and packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk**
- First, preheat your waffle iron to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Then add wet ingredients, minus the coconut oil.
- Melt the coconut oil and add that to the batter.
- Spray waffle iron with coconut oil cooking spray on both sides. Then, scoop in about ⅔ cup of batter. Close the waffle iron, flip, and let cook for about 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes and 30 seconds (depending on how hot your iron is).
- The batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter, but not too thick! Start with 1 cup of almond milk and add a tablespoon at a time if it’s too thick.
- To make pancakes: add about ¼ cup to ⅓ cup more almond milk to thin the batter out a little bit. Cook over medium heat for about 1.5 minutes per side.
- Serving Size: 1 waffle