- 3 cups superfine almond meal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups fresh apples, diced (skin on or peeled)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray an 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Next, prepare crust. Place all ingredients for the crust into a large bowl. Mix until it forms a crumble and can hold its form.
- Transfer crust into the baking dish and flatten the crust evenly to the bottom of the pan using a spatula.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- While crust is baking, cook down the apples by placing all of the ingredients for the filling into a medium-sized pot.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat to low and let simmer for 7-9 minutes or until the filling has reduced and thickened*. Stir every so often.
- Remove apples from heat and use a fork to mash the apples so that the filling is a combination of apple mash and apple chunks.
- Transfer apple pie filling over the crust and set aside and use a spatula to evenly spread out. Set aside.
- Next, prepare crumble topping. In a medium bowl, add ingredients for the crumble topping and cut the ingredients with a fork until it forms a crumble.
- Evenly distribute the crumble topping on top of the apple filling.
- Bake at 350ºF for 26-28 minutes or until crumble topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Then, refrigerate for at least an hour before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- If apples are having a hard time thickening, option to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to help thicken.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/12 Calories: 435 Sugar: 22 Fat: 27 Carbohydrates: 41 Fiber: 6 Protein: 9
Category: dessertMethod: ovenCuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie bars