For the Sauce
- 1.5 cups low-sodium broth (vegetable/chicken/beef)*
- 1/2 cup tamari (OR low sodium soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (OR gluten-free hoisin sauce)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup water
For the Quinoa “Fried” Rice
For the steak
- 1.5 lbs. flank steak, pounded to 1/2 inch think and sliced into 6 pieces
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soft Boiled Egg
- Green Onion
- Sauce: 1/4 cup hoisin + 1/4 cup tamari + 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray your casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray (be generous!).
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add truRoots Whole Grain Sprouted Quinoa and frozen veggies to the casserole dish.
- Add sauce mixture to the casserole dish and use a large spoon to mix all ingredients together, making sure everything is (mostly) covered.
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 375º for 30 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking in the oven, prepare the stuffed pepper steak.
- Cut baker’s string into 6 9-inch long pieces and set aside for later.
- Prep vegetables by slicing green pepper and onion into even pieces, set aside.
- Prepare steak by laying the whole flank steak out on a cutting board. Cover with parchment paper to avoid splatter. Then, using a meat tenderizer, pound the steak until it flattens out and is the same thickness all around (~1/2 to 1 inch). Salt and pepper the steak on both sides.
- Cut tenderized flank steak into 6 equal pieces.
- The next step is rolling the vegetables inside the steak. Grab the string that you prepared, place 2 pieces of green pepper and 2 pieces of onion in the center of the steak.
- Roll steak, packing it tightly and securing it with a string. Repeat with all 6 pieces of steak.
- Heat olive oil on high-heat in a large sauté pan. When hot, place stuffed flank steak onto the pan and sear for one minute on each side and remove from heat.
- When the casserole has cooked for 30 minutes, remove and stir.
- Place the stuffed steak on top of quinoa and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes depending on how you like your steak (less time for a medium rare center and more time for medium/well done center).
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
*Option to substitute some or all of the broth with water.