- 2-lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast (3 large breasts)
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (plain or whole wheat would work too)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (+ more for serving)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley, for serving
- Pasta, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and spray a baking sheet or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken breast. Slice each breast lengthwise in half to create 6 chicken cutlets. Place the chicken on a cutting board and then cover them with plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken to a ½-inch thickness. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, and salt. Mix to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg wash, letting the excess egg drip off. Then, dredge the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture on both sides. Make sure that the chicken is fully coated.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium/low heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, add 1 to 2 chicken cutlets to the pan (depending on how big your pan is). Let cook for around 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Wipe done your pan in between each chicken breast to remove any brown bits. Continue frying each parmesan-crusted chicken cutlet in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil until all are cooked.
- If your frying pan is large enough and oven safe, you can arrange your chicken breasts right in there. Or, transfer chicken breasts into the casserole dish and then top each chicken breast with around 2-3 tablespoons of marinara sauce. Sprinkle on 2 heaping tablespoons of shredded mozzarella.
- Bake at 450ºF for around 5-7 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese is melted and the internal temperature of the chicken breast reads 165ºF.
- Serve immediately with freshly chopped basil over your favorite pasta or gnocchi.
Tips & Notes
- Want to skip pan-frying? Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place a metal rack on top of a baking sheet and then place the parmesan-crusted cutlets on the metal rack. Make sure they are not touching. Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil cooking spray and bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and spray the other side with cooking spray and then bake for an additional 5 minutes. Flip them one more time, top them with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake them for 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165ºF and the cheese is fully melted.
- Nutrition information does not include pasta.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 406 Sugar: 0 Fat: 19 Carbohydrates: 12 Fiber: 1 Protein: 48
Keywords: baked chicken parmesan