- 12-oz. egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, separated
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-lb. flank steak
- 1 cup diced crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add egg noodles and stir periodically until the noodles are cooked to al dente. Strain noodles, rinse them in cold water, and set them aside for later.
- Prepare the flank steak by placing the beef on a cutting board and covering it with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Pound the flank steak with a meat tenderizer until it is about 1-inch think. Slice the flank steak into thin strips against the grain of the meat.
- Place the beef strips into a bowl and sprinkle with garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Mix everything together so that all of the beef is covered in spices.
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter. When the butter is melted and begins to bubble add the beef strips to the pan and sear them for 30 seconds. This is important. You do not want to overcook your meat. It will continue to cook when you add it to the stroganoff sauce.
- Remove beef from the pan and set aside making sure to keep all the juices with the beef, too.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan over medium/high heat. When the butter is melted add the crimini mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Sauté the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and toss the mushrooms with the red wine.
- Next, add the white onion and garlic to the mushrooms and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the last 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and stir. When the butter is melted add the flour to the mushroom mixture and mix until everything is covered in flour.
- Slowly add 1 cup of beef broth to the pan whisking everything together. The sauce should thicken quickly.
- Turn heat to medium/low and add in the sour cream, Greek yogurt, and Worcestershire. Whisk everything together. Slowly add in the last cup of beef broth, fresh thyme, and the rest of the salt.
- Add in the strips of beef and turn the heat up to medium/high. Let the stroganoff sauce come to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Finally, add in cooked egg noodles, toss, and serve with fresh cracked pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Greek yogurt/sour cream: you can easily sub one for the other. So, feel free to use all sour cream or all Greek yogurt.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 542 Sugar: 6 Sodium: 290 Fat: 21 Carbohydrates: 58 Fiber: 3 Protein: 30 Cholesterol: 157
Category: PastaMethod: Stove TopCuisine: Russian
Keywords: Beef Stroganoff