- 1.5 cups minute brown rice
- 5 cups chopped broccoli florets (1 full head)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1.5 cups frozen green peas
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, divided (6 oz. and 2 oz.)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1.5 lb.s boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a large ceramic casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, place minute brown rice, broccoli florets, yellow onion, carrots, and green peas on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Prepare cheese sauce by placing broth and milk into a small saucepan. Heat over medium/high heat.
- Once simmering, turn down low/medium and add in 6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Continuously stir until the cheese dissolves and your cheese sauce has formed.
- Immediately pour over rice and veggies and mix.
- Next, slice chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes and add that to the casserole dish and mix making sure everything is fully coated in cheese sauce.
- Bake at 375ºF, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Then, add 2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese and 1 oz. shredded parmesan cheese to the top of the casserole dish and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Let casserole rest on the stovetop for 15-20 minutes before serving to further thicken.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 337 Sugar: 4 Fat: 14 Carbohydrates: 23 Fiber: 3 Protein: 32
Keywords: chicken and rice casserole