- 8 oz. pancetta, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup farro, uncooked
- 1 bundle fresh thyme, tied together with cooking twine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano*
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 6 cups kale, deboned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium/high heat and add pancetta and ground turkey.
- As the turkey cooks, break it into large chunks with a wooden spoon (do not break it up into small pieces). Cook pancetta and turkey for 1-2 minutes until browned on the outside but not all the way cooked through.
- Remove pancetta and turkey from the Dutch oven and deglaze the pan with the red wine. The wine will really sizzle, but it will smell amazing.
- Add the onions to the dutch oven and turn the heat to medium and cook onion until translucent then add garlic to the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Remove onion and garlic from pot and the add olive oil. Deglaze the pan by scraping all the meat and onion bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add mushrooms to the Dutch oven and cook for 3-4 minutes and then add farro to the mushrooms. Stir consistently for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add all ingredients including the cooked garlic and onions (except for the kale) to the dutch oven. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add kale and let the soup simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
Ground oregano: if you don’t have ground oregano, use 2 teaspoons normal dried oregano.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 372 Sugar: 4 Fat: 26 Carbohydrates: 27 Fiber: 4 Protein: 30
Keywords: kale soup recipe