- 12 oz. macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Red Hot (or another vinegar-based hot sauce)
- ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the uncooked macaroni noodles to the water and stir.
- Let pasta cook until al dente. Strain noodles and set aside.
- Next, prepare a roux by heating a large pot or dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add butter.
- When the butter is melted add flour and whisk until the milk and flour form a crumble.
- Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 4-6 minutes or until the roux thickens.
- When the roux is thick, remove from heat and add the cheddar and gouda cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted.
- Add mustard powder, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Finally, add the cooked macaroni noodles to the cheese sauce and mix until the noodles are covered in cheese sauce.
- Enjoy immediately.
Tips & Notes
*Nutrition information is based on 6 servings.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 423 Sugar: 9 Fat: 18 Fiber: 6 Protein: 22
Keywords: mac and cheese recipe