These Caprese Meatball Skewers are the ultimate party appetizer made with balsamic meatballs, fresh mozzarella, basil, and a cherry tomato!
Team, I am super excited to be partnering with Johnsonville today for the ultimate holiday appetizer recipe. If you are anything like me, you always scramble for a last minute appetizer to bring along with you to a holiday party. The easier it is to make the better…and if it’s made with healthy ingredients…SCORE! One thing I try and consciously do when bringing a dish to a party is make something higher in protein.
Insert – MEAT-a-BALL-as.
I mean, how cute are these skewers? They are SO EASY to make and could feed a whole army of friends. The best part is, this is a year-round appetizer recipe and can pretty much be made and enjoyed during every season.
I tested this recipe with both of Johnsonville’s meatball flavors – homestyle and Italian, and they are both equally as nummy. The meatballs come precooked, so all you have to do is spread them out in a casserole dish, pour in some balsamic vinegar and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes. You don’t even need to thaw them…I promise you can’t mess this one up.
One bag comes with 28 meatballs, so make sure you get enough caprese ingredients for 28! Also- make sure you pick up some longerish toothicks. I actually ended up cutting some wooden skewers with a scissors so that I could fit everything on the stick. You’ll need…
- Johnsonville Meatballs
- Mozzarella Balls
- Fresh Basil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Balsamic Vinegar (regular for baking and aged for dipping)
Linley and I actually hosted a little holiday party together a few weekends ago and these were a HIT with the crowd. Even the littles loved these caprese meatball skewers! Nothing like getting a bunch of friends together with good food and drink. We debuted a handful of other FFF recipes: Cranberry Mojitos, Healthy Chicken Parmesan (made with eggplant for a vegetarian option), and Grain-Free Peanut Butter Blossoms.
Linley and I both decided that when we grow up, we want to be professional hostesses. WE LOVE THROWING PARTIES.
- 1 package of Johnsonville Meatballs (homestyle or Italian)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 28 mozzarella balls
- 28 fresh basil leaves
- 28 cherry tomatoes
- 28 toothpicks (the larger the better!)
- Aged balsamic vinegar (for dipping)
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, spread Johsonville Meatballs (unthawed) onto your baking dish and pour on 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and ~3/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. Toss meatballs.
- Bake at 375º for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, toss meatballs and bake again for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Assemble skewers by sliding on a meatball, mozzarella ball, basil leaf, and cherry tomato. Use aged balsamic vinegar (a thicker, sweeter vinegar) for dipping.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/28 Calories: 182 Sugar: 2 Carbohydrates: 4 Fiber: 1 Protein: 7
Seriously I can’t wait to make these again. I had leftovers after the party and used these balsamic meatballs in a superfood bowl for a couple of days. SO VERSATILE!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville . The opinions and text are all mine.