Hellooooo Fit Foodies! My name is Lindsay and I blog over at The Lean Green Bean! I’m so excited to be filling in for Lee today. She’s a girl after my own heart in that we both love MN (I was born there!), we both like to keep ourselves super busy and we share an obsession with social media. In case you don’t know me, I’m a Registered Dietitian, online nutrition coach, freelance writer, blogger and nutrition communications specialist. Today I thought I’d share one of my favorite Fall recipes from last year with you guys. In fact, I’ve been begging my hubby to go apple picking with me for the last 3 weekends so that I can stock up on apples and make these again!
Caramel Apple Bars
Here’s how you make them:
Caramel Apple Bars
- ¼ c nut butter
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1– 6oz container of Apple Cinnamon Chobani greek yogurt
- ¼ c brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 1 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 c oats
- scant 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup chopped apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- 20 caramels + splash of milk
- 1. In a medium sized bowl melt the butter and nut butter and mix well.
- 2. Add the greek yogurt, egg, brown rice syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
- 3. Stir in the flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon.
- 4. Add the apples and mix well.
- 5. Line an 8×8 pan (9×9 would probably work too) with foil and grease well. Spoon the mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- 6. Melt the caramels with a splash of milk in the microwave and pour on top of the apple mixture. Top with chopped pecans.
- 7. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees F. Let cool completely before cutting.
- Calories: 3084
- Sugar: 163
- Sodium: 976
- Fat: 144
- Saturated Fat: 40
- Unsaturated Fat: 93
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 395
- Protein: 76
- Cholesterol: 314
A few notes about this recipe:
- If you really like caramel, you could melt some extra caramels and mix them into the batter.
- If you’re a chocolate fan you could throw some chocolate chips into the mix or add them on top.
- I used almond butter but peanut butter would work well too.
- You could also top them with another kind of nuts if you don’t like pecans.
- My hubby suggests adding a layer of apple slices to the bottom to ensure you get apples in every bite! Or even a layer of apple and caramel to the middle. Isn’t he a genius?
- I recommend storing these in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, throw a slice in the microwave for a few seconds and serve warm.
- I also recommend topping them with vanilla ice cream ;)