- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons chipotle powder
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3–4 pound pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup broth (any kind)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 6–8 street taco tortillas, corn or flour
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4–6 lime wedges
- Combine the spices for the dry rub in a small bowl and set aside.
- Season the pork shoulder with the dry rub by massaging the pork with the spices on all sides. Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the white onion, garlic, and broth into the slow cooker and turn your slow cooker to high.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add the pork shoulder to the pan. Brown both sides of the pork shoulder for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the browned pork shoulder into the slow cooker and pour the orange juice over the meat and then cover the slow cooker. Cook the pork shoulder on high for 7-8 hours or until the pork falls apart.
- Once the pork is done cooking, preheat the oven to 450ºF and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Uncover the slow cooker and use 2 forks to carefully shred the pork. It should be super tender and easy to shred. Toss the shredded pork with all of the juices in the slow cooker.
- Transfer the shredded pork to the baking sheet and spread it out. Then, bake at 450ºF for around 5-7 minutes to make your carnitas nice and crispy.
- Remove the pork from the oven.
- Assemble tacos by evenly distributing carnitas, cilantro, onion, and Greek yogurt into taco shells.
- Top with fresh squeezed lime juice and serve.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 428 Sugar: 3 Fat: 17 Carbohydrates: 28 Fiber: 2 Protein: 39 Cholesterol: 107
Keywords: carnitas tacos