- 4–5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, rinse
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup broth (we used vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Next, use a mandolin* to slice all of the potatoes into 1/8-inch thick rounds. We used size 2.0 on our mandolin.
- Prepare the cheese sauce by heating a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the saucepan and sauté for 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until the onion begins to brown.
- Add the last three tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and let it heat for 30 seconds.
- Next, add the flour to the saucepan and whisk the oil, onion, garlic, and flour together until it turns into a paste.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly pour the milk into the saucepan. Continue to whisk the milk over medium heat until the milk begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and then sprinkle the cheddar cheese into the saucepan and whisk them together until the cheese melts.
- Lastly, add the vegetable broth, garlic powder, and Greek Yogurt to the sauce and whisk until combined.
- Assemble the scalloped potatoes by scooping 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it around.
- Create 3 rows of the sliced potatoes, tightly packing them together. With a 9×13-inch casserole dish, you should be able to fit 4-5 lbs. worth of potatoes.
- Carefully, pour the cheese sauce on top of the potatoes working the cheese sauce in between each potato round. You can use a knife or fork for this, but it’s important to try and get the cheese in between the potatoes and on top.
- Cover the scalloped potatoes and bake them at 375ºF for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, scrape the sides and bake (covered) for an additional 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove the casserole from the oven one last time and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Turn the heat to 450ºF and place the casserole dish, uncovered, back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the parmesan cheese starts to brown.
- Let potatoes rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Mandolin- we recommend using a mandolin for us to get even cuts, but a sharp knife works too.
- As the scalloped potatoes rest out of the oven, the sauce will thicken.
Serving Size: 1/10
Category: Side dishMethod: OvenCuisine: American