- 1-lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 large chicken breasts)
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8-oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 4-oz. bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Begin by slicing the chicken breasts lengthwise in half to create 4 cutlets.
- Then, place the chicken cutlets on a cutting board and cover them with plastic wrap. Using a meat cleaver, pound the chicken to a ½-inch thickness. Set aside.
- Mix chicken breading together in a medium-sized bowl by combining whole wheat flour, granulated garlic, onion powder, dried thyme, and salt.
- Dredge the chicken by first rinsing each chicken breast with water and then dredging the chicken through the flour mixture. Make sure the chicken breast is completely covered in the flour mixture.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- When butter is melted and fragrant, add the chicken cutlets to the pan.
- Sauté each cutlet for 4-5 minutes per side on medium heat, or until golden brown and fully cooked.
- When the chicken is golden brown on both sides, remove chicken cutlets from the pan. Set aside.
- Next, add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the same pan.
- When the butter is melted, scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula releasing brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place all of the sliced mushrooms into the pan and sprinkle them with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss the mushrooms with the butter.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth to pan and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, only tossing every 2 minutes. Sauté until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté the mixture for 3 more minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the marsala wine.
- Then, add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, fresh thyme, and Greek yogurt to the pan and stir everything together.
- Turn heat to high heat and bring the broth to a boil.
- When the broth is boiling, turn the heat to medium/low and simmer until the liquid reduces by half. This will take around 10-12 minutes.
- Finally, add the chicken cutlets into the pan and carefully spoon mushroom sauce on top of each chicken cutlet.
- Let the chicken simmer in the mushroom sauce for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve alone or over pasta.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 334 Sugar: 3 Sodium: 685 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 16 Fiber: 3 Protein: 36 Cholesterol: 102
Keywords: chicken marsala