- 1-lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, cut into half-moons (~1 cup chopped)
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8–10 sprigs fresh thyme, tied into a bundle
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (~1.5 cups, uncooked)*
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt (any kind of Greek works)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Begin by seasoning the chicken breasts with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Then, heat a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium/high heat. Add one tablespoon olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add the chicken breast to the pot. Sear the chicken breast for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pot (you don’t want the chicken to be fully cooked).
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the onion, carrot, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper, garlic, and remaining salt and pepper to the pot and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Finally, add chicken breast, fresh thyme bundle, and broth to the pot. Be sure the chicken breast is submerged in the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once the boiling, cover the pot and turn the heat to low, and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the roux. In a separate medium saucepan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium/high heat.
- When the olive oil is fragrant add the flour to the saucepan and whisk the ingredients together until a paste forms.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the mixture, stirring consistently until the milk thickens. This usually takes 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into the roux.
- Once the soup has simmered for 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the pot and shred the chicken. Set aside.
- Place the kale, cooked wild rice, and Worcestershire sauce into the pot and stir until the kale wilts.
- Then, add the Greek yogurt and the roux to the pot and mix until combined.
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup, mix, bring to a simmer so all ingredients are warm.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 recipe Calories: 352 Sugar: 6 Sodium: 493 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 26 Fiber: 3 Protein: 28 Cholesterol: 47
Keywords: creamy chicken noodle soup