- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6–8 servings of pasta (we used Whole Foods Organic Ziti)
- 1 cup soaked cashews*
- Fresh basil, chopped, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and like a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Place tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper onto baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss, making sure everything is coated. Roast at 400ºF 20 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, bring a pot of water to a boil. When water comes to a boil, add pasta to the water. Stir occasionally and remove when pasta is al dente. About 6-8 minutes. Strain pasta and set aside.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, remove skin from tomatoes, and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- Next, transfer all ingredients on the baking sheet (including juices) into a blender along with soaked cashews and the remaining olive oil and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Toss pasta with sauce and top with fresh basil and cracked pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Overnight. Place cashews in a glass bowl and cover them with water. Cover with plastic wrap and let them soak overnight.
- Flash boil. Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil. Add cashews to the pot and remove from the heat. Let the cashews sit for at least 15 minutes.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 recipe Calories: 333 Sugar: 6 Fat: 10 Carbohydrates: 51 Fiber: 4 Protein: 9
Keywords: vegan pasta