- 2 15-oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 stalks celery, minced (~½ cup)
- ¼ large white onion, minced
- ⅓ cup dill pickles, minced
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- Begin by removing the casings from garbanzo beans. Pour the garbanzo beans into a bowl and use a dish towel or a paper towel and rub the garbanzo beans with the towel. The casings will begin to fall off the beans. Repeat this step until most of the casings fall off. Not all the casings will fall off. Remove the casings from the bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon, potato masher, or fork to mash the majority of the garbanzo beans (it’s okay if there are some whole ones).
- Add the celery, white onion, and pickles to the garbanzo beans. Mix ingredients together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, pickle juice, mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl, and mix.
- Pour the Greek yogurt sauce over the garbanzo bean mixture and mix until combined.
- Sprinkle it with paprika and fresh dill.
- Serve on a sandwich, over greens, or on its own.
Tips & Notes
- Removing the casings from the garbanzo beans helps to add moisture to the garbanzo beans and to keep the casings from getting caught in your throat.
- Be sure to really mash half the beans, it will elevate this recipe.
- We prefer using mostly Greek yogurt but feel free to use more mayo if you’d like.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 331 Sugar: 4 Fat: 10 Carbohydrates: 45 Fiber: 14 Protein: 19
Keywords: chickpea salad, chickpea salad sandwich