- 1.5 lbs. fresh tomatillos, rinsed and husks removed (or canned whole tomatillos, poaching liquid discarded)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ medium white onion, peeled
- 2 medium jalapeño or serrano peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup fresh cilantro with stems
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Put all of the ingredients except for the cilantro and salt in a sauce pot and add just enough water to cover the vegetables. (If using canned tomatillos, drain away the brine and put them directly into the food processor).
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain away half of the water and transfer the rest of the ingredients to a food processor.
- Add the cilantro and salt to the food processor.
- Blend until almost smooth leaving a bit of texture.
- Taste the salsa to determine if it requires more salt – season to to taste. If the salsa needs a bit of acidity, add a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 44 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 96 Fat: 1 Carbohydrates: 8 Fiber: 3 Protein: 1 Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Salsa Verde