- 9-inch pre-made pie crust, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10-oz. fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk (or whole milk)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1.5 cups shredded gruyere cheese, separated
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Next, unroll the pre-made pie crust. Place the crust into a 9-inch circular pie pan and pinch the edges of the pie crust so that it holds its shape.
- Use a fork to prick the bottom of the pie crust 5-7 times to avoid bubbling during the bake time.
- Place the crust into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Check on the pie crust every few minutes and if the pie crust begins to bubble, prick the bubble with a fork. Then, remove crust from the oven and set aside.
- Prepare the quiche filling. Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add the onions to the pan and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Sauté the onions for 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic to the pan and sauté the garlic with the onions for an additional 1 minute.
- Next, turn the heat to medium/low and add half of the fresh spinach to the pan and toss the spinach with the onions and oil. When the spinach has wilted add the rest of the spinach to the pan. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of salt over the spinach and sauté the spinach for an additional 3-5 minutes or until there is no liquid in the bottom of the pan. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together until combined. Add the Greek yogurt to the egg mixture and whisk until the egg mixture has thickened.
- Lastly, add 1 cup of gruyere cheese to the egg mixture and stir everything together.
- Place the partially cooked pie crust on top of a baking sheet. Sprinkle the last 1/2 cup of the shredded Gruyere cheese on top of the pie crust. Then, spread the spinach mixture over the gruyere cheese and pour the egg and cheese mixture on top of the spinach.
- Bake the quiche for 20 minutes and then check to see if the pie crust is browning. If the crust is browning, cover the edges (not the middle) of the quiche with tin foil to avoid burning, and then bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked in the center.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving Size: 1/8
Category: BreakfastMethod: OvenCuisine: American