- 1 lb. bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup bbq sauce (your favorite kind)
- Begin by taking out the chicken thighs and pat each one with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Next, add the garlic powder, chipotle powder, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt into a small bowl and mix all the spices together.
- Pour the spices over the chicken thighs and massage the thighs with the spices and be sure that each chicken thigh is covered with spices.
- Let the chicken thighs sit for at least 30 minutes in the spices (longer is always better). This will help get the juices get flowing and flavor the meat.
- While the chicken is sitting, preheat the oven to 400ºF and make sure there is indirect and direct grilling space on the grill.
- When the chicken is ready, place the chicken on the grill skin side down over direct heat for 4-5 minutes to crisp up the chicken skin.
- Flip the chicken and cook the chicken for another 4-5 minutes.
- Lastly, flip the chicken one more time (skin up) and move it to indirect heat.
- Add a tablespoon or so of BBQ sauce to each chicken thigh and spread out the sauce evenly over the thighs.
- Close the grill and let the BBQ sauce caramelize for 2-3 more minutes and then remove the thighs from the grill.
- Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes and then enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- BBQ sauce- the BBQ sauce is going to add a lot of flavor to your thighs. So, make sure you like your bbq sauce. If you like it sweet, use a sweeter sauce and if you like it spicy/smokey, us a spicy sauce.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 264 Sugar: 2 Fat: 18 Carbohydrates: 4 Fiber: 0 Protein: 25
Keywords: grilled chicken thighs