Make a healthy meal on a stick with these amazing Grilled Sweet and Sour Meatball Skewers. The meatballs are made with lean ground beef, grated yellow squash, and ginger with a fantastic healthier sweet and sour marinade.
Please tell me you’ve used your grill at least once this year. I use mine at every chance I get and will until it starts to snow. For some reason food just tastes better when its made on the grill. Something about those charred grill marks and summer fresh air. Oh, and the fact that clean-up is a breeze. 😀
Today we’re announcing a new Fit Foodie Finds partnership with Laura’s Lean Beef, our go-to all-natural beef brand. I first tried Laura’s a few years ago when I discovered a plethora of their products at Target. Ummmm, the fact that you can buy this amazing protein at Target is a win for everyone. One stop shop, thank you very much. We love Laura’s because they care what goes into their beef (or what doesn’t!). No antibiotics and no growth hormones! Over the next few months you guys are going to see more beef recipes popping up on Fit Foodie Finds and first up, we’ve got some AMAZING meatballs.
I know you guys LOVE meatballs because some of our most popular recipes on FFF are balls in the form of meat (ie: Kung Pao and Red Curry). So these meatballs…are made with Laura’s 96% Ground Sirloin along with a secret veggie — YELLOW SQUASH. My mom used to sneak grated veggies in everything when I was a kid and I do have to say, it made these meatballs super moist. The garlic and ginger were an excellent touch, too!
Once you roll the meatballs into balls you let them marinate for 15 minutes to really soak up that homemade sweet and sour sauce. All you need are 5 simple ingredients for the sauce:
- organic ketchup
- lime juice
^^As you can see we didn’t use any processed sugar…winning. While the meatballs are soaking up that goodness, you can prep the bell peppers, onion, and pineapple. Season those suckers and then string everything on your stick and you’re ready to go!
Grill your skewers at 425ºF for about 15 minutes and you’ve got dinner ready in under 30 minutes! We served ours on a bed of quinoa, but any grain you like will suffice.
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb. Laura’s 96% Lean Ground Beef
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat (or any kind of flour)
- 1 small grated yellow squash (or green), squeezed (~1/2 cup squeezed)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, large
For the Marinade/Sauce
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (optional)
For the Skewers
- 2 large bell peppers, any color
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- squeeze of lime juice (~1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 pineapple, cubed
- First, prepare meatballs. Place Laura’s 96% Lean Ground Beef, white whole wheat flour, garlic powder, ground ginger, salt, and egg into a medium-size bowl.
- Then, prep yellow squash by finely grating (we used a cheese grater). Place shredded squash on top of 2 pieces of paper towel and squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible. Measure and then add around 1/2 cup of shredded squash into the bowl.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until combined. Using a heaping tablespoon, scoop out meat and roll into balls. Place into a large container or casserole dish and set aside.
- Next, prepare sauce by mixing together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Remove 1/3 cup for later. Use the remaining sauce to pour over meatballs. Toss. Place in fridge and let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are marinating, prepare veggies and fruit. Slice 2 bell peppers and a red onion into large, square pieces. Then, season with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and lime juice. Slice pineapple into square chunks.
- Once you’ve got everything prepped you can make your skewers! Alternate between veggies, pineapple, and meatballs.
- Preheat grill to 425ºF. Lay a piece of tin foil down and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place skewers on tin foil and let grill for 15 minutes, rotating skewers every 5 minutes.
- Serve with a grain of choice!
Tips & Notes
Makes 10-12 skewers depending on how big your meatballs are.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 2 skewers Calories: 429 Sugar: 42 Sodium: 2261 Fat: 10 Carbohydrates: 59 Fiber: 6 Protein: 30
This post is sponsored by Laura’s Lean Beef. I was compensated and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Fit Foodie Finds!