- 6-oz. extra wide egg noodles
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 large white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, separated
- 8-oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth (+ more if needed to thin out the sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles.
- Let the egg noodles cook until they are al dente and then strain the water from the noodles. Rinse the noodles with cold water and set aside.
- Next, heat a large pan (or dutch oven) over medium/high heat and add ground beef and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Break the ground beef up in the pan with a wooden spoon. When the ground beef is almost cooked add the onion and garlic to the beef and mix.
- Cook all those ingredients together for 2-3 minutes or until the beef is fully cooked.
- Remove from the heat and remove beef from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of butter and heat over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, add all of the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon of salt and turn the heat down to medium/low.
- Let the mushrooms sauté for 6-8 minutes, tossing them every 3-4 minutes.
- Then, turn the heat up to high heat and let the mushrooms brown for 1 minute.
- While the mushrooms are browning, measure out the beef broth and add the Worcestershire to the broth and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Turn the heat to low and add the last 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Toss the mushrooms in the melted butter and then sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and toss again making sure the mushrooms are covered in flour.
- Turn the heat to medium/high heat and slowly pour beef broth into the pan and whisk consistently until the mixture thickens.
- Turn heat to low and add the fresh thyme to the pan and mix.
- When the fresh thyme is fragrant, remove the pan from heat.
- Add Greek yogurt, sour cream, and pepper and mix until combined. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of additional beef broth to thin out, if needed.
- Pour the ground beef mixture into the sauce and mix and return to the heat. Heat the mixture over low heat until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Fold the egg noodles into the ground beef sauce and let the mixture and serve.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 313 Sugar: 4 Sodium: 528 Fat: 20 Carbohydrates: 12 Fiber: 1 Protein: 22 Cholesterol: 74
Category: Lunch and DinnerMethod: Stove TopCuisine: American
Keywords: ground beef stroganoff