- 1.5 cup white whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup apples, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk**
For the All-Purpose Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- seeds scraped from 1/2 a vanilla bean
- pinch of fine sea salt
For the Waffles
- First, preheat your waffle iron to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.Then add wet ingredients, minus the coconut oil.
- Partially melt the coconut oil and add that to the batter. I microwave my coconut oil for about 20 seconds. Mix until smooth.
- Spray waffle iron with coconut oil cooking spray on both sides. Then, scoop in about ⅔ cup of batter. Close the waffle iron, flip, and let cook for about 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes and 30 seconds (depending on how hot your iron is).
For Lexi’s Clean Kitchen’s All-Purpose Caramel Sauce
- Combine the ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. If it begins to boil over, quickly stir down and momentarily slide it off the heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the caramel begins to thicken and can coat the back of a spoon. For thicker caramel, let simmer longer.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. The longer it cools, the thicker it will be.
- Store the cooled caramel sauce in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
Tips & Notes
**The batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter, but not too thick! Start with 1 cup of almond milk and add a tablespoon at a time if it’s too thick.
***To make pancakes: add about ¼ cup to ⅓ cup more almond milk to thin the batter out a little bit. Cook over medium heat for about 1.5 minutes per side.