- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1.5 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced (~1/2 cup)
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce (any kind of spaghetti sauce will work!)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (option to sub: vegetable broth or water)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat, but white or gluten-free will work, too!)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 14-inch x 10-inch (OR 9-inch x 12-inch) ceramic casserole dish* with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Prep veggies by dicing a whole green pepper and 1.5 cups of mushrooms. Finely dice 1/2 a yellow onion.
- Place 1 cup of uncooked quinoa on the bottom of your casserole dish and then layer on veggies.
- Add 3 cups of marinara sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and a tablespoon of minced garlic to the casserole dish and mix everything together. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together flour, shredded parmesan, and garlic powder. Then, crack an egg into a small bowl and whisk.
- Prep chicken breast by dipping into the egg and then into the parmesan mixture making sure everything is generously coated. Place chicken breast on top of quinoa mixture
- Finally, sprinkle on the leftover parmesan mixture and even more cheese if you desire. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover baking dish with tinfoil and then bake at 375ºF 40 minutes. Then, uncover the baking dish and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until quinoa is fully cooked.
Tips & Notes
- If you are making this recipe, a ceramic casserole dish is going to be your best bet. Ceramic dishes heat your food much hotter than a classic cake pan, so do note this with bake time! PS: here’s the one we have.
- Vegetarian option: we tested this bad boy with eggplant (at least Linley did..I refused to eat it, okay fine I had a bite) and it was great! If you’re a vegetarian…you are in luck! Just slice your eggplant hot dog way and follow the directions just like the chicken. You will still need to bake for the full 60 minutes because that’s how long the quinoa will take to fluff.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 353 Sugar: 9 Fat: 9 Carbohydrates: 32 Fiber: 3 Protein: 31
Keywords: healthy chicken parmesan