For the Onions
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 large red onions, sliced
For the Green Bean Casserole
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, separated
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed and ends removed
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×11-inch casserole dish and a standard-size baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- First, prepare onions. Whisk together one egg and 2 tablespoons of water in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together bread crumbs, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Then, slice 2 large onions. Add sliced onions to the egg mixture. Stir mixture until all of the onions are coated with egg.
- Pour the breadcrumb mixture on top of the onions and gently fold everything together.
- Spread onions out onto a baking sheet and set aside.
- Next, prepare green bean casserole. Heat a large saucepan over medium/high heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add mushrooms and 1/8 teaspoon of salt and saute for 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer mushrooms into a separate bowl. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, prepare the roux. Melt butter over medium/high heat. Add flour to butter and mix until a paste is created.
- Slowly add milk while continually whisking the milk, butter, and flour together. Whisk until mixture is thick. Remove from heat.
- Add broth, cooked mushrooms, and the last 1/8 teaspoon of salt to the roux and mix well.
- Place uncooked green beans into the casserole dish and then pour the roux over green beans and toss so that the beans are coated.
- Place both the green bean casserole and onions in the oven at the same time.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes. Then toss the onions and bake for an additional 20 more minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and then turn the oven to high broil. Broil the onions for 3-5 minutes for extra crispy onions*.
- Once onions are crunchy, use a spatula to gently transfer onions on top of the green bean casserole.
Tips & Notes
- Extra crunchy onions – this part is optional, but highly recommended. All ovens are different, so make sure to keep an eye on your onions in the broiler!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 176 Sugar: 6 Fat: 10 Carbohydrates: 17 Fiber: 3 Protein: 7
Keywords: healthy green bean casserole