These healthy thumbprint cookies are made with whole ingredients and natural sweeteners. They’re grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly, and SUPER YUMMY!
Hey gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free friends…these cookies are for you!
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is to take a classic and make it healthy! I have a wee obsession with almond and cashew meal and LOVE baking with it! Fun Fact- Most of the recipes in my Single Serve Dessert E-Cookbook are made with a nut flour!
How gorgeous are those pistachios?! I love pistachios…almost as much as peanut butter.
But seriously nothing can get between me and peanut butter.
UNLESS you go to Israel for 10 days and peanut butter is nowhere to be found. I was literally having withdrawals. They had tahini galore….but the peanut butter was scarce.
The icing on the cake for these cookies was the sprinkle of sea salt on the chocolate glob. HUBBA HUBBA.
PS: I used the last of my Homemade Vegan Chocolate Chips for part of these! Boom-shaka-laka.
Healthy Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- 2 cups cashew meal
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, partially melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup pistachio nuts, raw
- 2/3 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- Himalayan sea salt
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all the wet ingredients in a large bowl and mix (minus coconut oil). Then, add in dry and mix until combined. Then, add coconut oil (you add it last so that the coconut oil doesn’t harden). It should be very similar to classic cookie dough consistency. Set aside.
- Prep pistachio nuts, but finely chopping. Place into a bowl.
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough. Roll into a ball. Then, roll into chopped pistachio nuts making sure 3 of the 4 sides are covered. You will have to apply slight pressure to make sure the nuts stick!
- Place cookie on baking sheet. Then, using your thumb, press in the middle of the cookie to create your thumbprint. Repeat
- Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cookies come out of the oven, you may need to re-thumbprint the cookies to make sure the impression is deep enough. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- To create the chocolate center. Melt about 2/3 cups of dairy-free chocolate chips. Spoon about 2 teaspoons into the center of each cookie. Then, sprinkle on some sea salt.
- Place in freezer for about 20 minutes to let the chocolate set. EAT!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
Want more cookie recipes? I know you do! Here’s some of my Fit Foodie favs…