- 2–3 pound whole chicken, innards removed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium lemon, sliced into three pieces
- 1 whole head of garlic, one end sliced off
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- First, preheat the oven to 400ºF and oil a large dutch oven with olive oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Remove moisture from the chicken by patting the chicken down with a paper towel. Set the chicken aside.
- Next, place the softened butter, minced garlic, chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into a bowl. Use a spoon to mix the butter and seasonings together.
- Place the chicken in the oiled casserole dish and carefully slather the seasoned butter under the skin and all over the chicken. It is ok if some of the butter falls into the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Then, place the onion, fresh rosemary, and fresh thyme into the cavity of the chicken.
- Add the lemon and head of garlic (sliced end down) into the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Finally, pour the white wine and chicken broth over the chicken and place the dutch oven into the oven on the center rack, uncovered, and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste the chicken with the liquid at the bottom of the dutch oven. Be sure to baste the whole chicken.
- Place the dutch oven back in the oven and bake for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and repeat the basting process. Check the temperature of the chicken.
- Roast for another 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165ºF.
- Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition is for a 2 lb. bird.
- This recipe was updated on November 1, 2020.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 434 Sugar: 1 Fat: 33 Carbohydrates: 3 Fiber: 1 Protein: 28
Keywords: whole roasted chicken, roast chicken