- 1 lb. ground mild Italian sausage
- 3.5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into half-inch cubes (skin on)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into half-inch cubes (skin on)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced in half and then thinly sliced
- 2 small honey crisp apples, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 12-oz. bag store-bought stuffing (we used Pepperidge Farm)
- 3.5 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into thin pads
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, partially brown the Italian sausage over medium/high heat. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until there is a little pink left. Then, transfer the sausage into the casserole dish.
- In the same pan, add 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil. Add sweet potatoes, Yukon potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes to partially cook. Then, transfer potatoes into the casserole dish.
- In the same pan, caramelize your onion. Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Then, add in thinly sliced onion and cook over low/medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and caramelized.
- Transfer caramelized onions into the casserole dish and then add apple, fresh herbs, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and stuffing. Mix everything together.
- Next, mix together beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and then pour the liquid over the stuffing and mix again.
- Finally, place thin pads of butter on top of sausage stuffing and bake at 375ºF for 35-45 minutes, uncovered, until the top is golden brown and it is firm to the touch.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/10 recipe Calories: 350 Sugar: 7 Sodium: 883 Fat: 18 Carbohydrates: 33 Fiber: 4 Protein: 13 Cholesterol: 38
Keywords: sausage stuffing recipe