No stove? No problem. This Instant Pot Apple Crisp is made completely in the Instant Pot. All of your favorite fall flavors and spices in one delicious dessert with a drool-worthy crunchy crisp topping. Make this healthy dessert for a treat this week!
Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
Sweet recipes in the Instant Pot? Yes, it’s a thing! Instant Pot dinners are a bit more popular for recipes in the Instant Pot, but don’t be fooled. Instant Pot desserts are a thing, too!
Just in time for the fall apple harvest, this Instant Pot apple crisp recipe is the perfect combination of apples and crunchy crumbly goodness. And made in cute little single-serve Mason jars.
Step 1: Mix Apple Ingredients
Start by spraying your mason jars with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix all your ingredients for the apples together. And coat all apples evenly with the spices. Set aside.
Step 2: Toast Apple Crisp Crumble Topping
Set Instant Pot’s saute feature and add the pecans and oats to the bottom of the Instant Pot. This will toast your pecans and oats, but make sure to keep stirring frequently to avoid burning.
Once they’re toasted to your liking (4-5 minutes) remove and set aside in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Mix Apple Crisp Topping Ingredients
Place the rest of the topping ingredients into the bowl with your toasted oats and pecans, and use your hands or a wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients together.
What should the consistency be of the topping? The consistency of this topping should be crumbly, but not too sticky. If the topping is not holding as a crumble, add a bit more butter or coconut oil, and if it’s too sticky, add a small number of oats until you have your desired consistency.
Step 4: It’s time for the Jars!
Pour your apples into your Mason jars, making sure the liquid from your mixing bowl is evenly distributed between your Mason jars to help them both steam at the same rate and to the same consistency in the Instant Pot.
it’s all about the apples
When making this apple crisp, the toughest part for us to perfect was getting the apples to the perfect consistency — not too hard, not too mushy.
We aired on the side of crunchy apples, so that this crisp didn’t turn into an applesauce, but depending on your preference, you can certainly add a minute or two to your cook time if you feel like your apples are a bit too crunchy after 17 minutes.
Step 5: Add the Crumble Topping
Press the crumble topping into the apples with your hands, and evenly spread between the 2 Mason jars. We shot this recipe in 2 larger Mason jars, but you can definitely split this into 4 mini Mason jars or one large (7-8 in.) glass bowl.
Please note that if you go with the 2 larger mason jars, consider layering your crumble within the crisp as well as on top (who doesn’t like a little extra crumble).
If you use one large glass bowl, you will need to place the grate on the bottom of your Instant Pot before adding the water and placing the bowl. We’ve found with one large bowl, the apples over cook without the grate.
Step 6: Cook Apple Crisp in the Instant Pot
Pour 2-3 cups of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot, and then place your Mason jars right in the Instant Pot (no need to use the grate). Close the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 17 minutes.
burn notice tips
We’ve found that newer Instant Pots can burn through liquid faster, so feel free to add additional water to the bottom of the Instant Pot to prevent the Burn message if you have a newer Instant Pot.
Step 7: Quick Release Instant Pot and Enjoy!
Quick release the pressure and remove the Mason jars from the Instant Pot with an oven mitt, or your silicone Instant Pot mitts, and enjoy! We’ve found this Instant Pot Apple Crisp is DELICIOUS topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
- 3 medium apples, chopped (~3 cups chopped)
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- Spray two large Weck or Mason jars with cooking spray. Set aside.*
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients for the apples together. Make sure apples are coated with spices. Set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot’s saute feature. Add pecans and oats to the bottom of the Instant Pot and let cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently to avoid burning. You are essentially toasting your pecans and oats. Shut off Instant Pot and remove oats and pecans and place into a medium-size bowl.
- Place the rest of the topping ingredients into the bowl with the toasted oats and pecans and use your hands or a wooden spoon to mix all ingredients together.
- Next, pour the apple mixture evenly into the two the jars (making sure to get some liquid in each jar). With your hands, add an equal amount of crumble topping to the top of each apple mixture. Press the topping into the apples with your hands.
- Place both jars on the bottom of the Instant Pot. Pour 2-3 cups of water into your Instant Pot surrounding the jars.
- Close the lid to the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 17 minutes.*
- Quick release pressure and remove Mason jars from the Instant Pot.
Tips & Notes
- Option to use one large glass bowl (7 to 8-inch bowl), or 3 small jars instead of 2 jars. The jars used in these photos are 2, 11 oz. jars. Do not cook this recipe on the bottom of your Instant Pot as you will risk turning this recipe into applesauce.
- Cook time varies based on what kind of apples you use and what kind of texture you prefer for the apples. For crunchier apples, decrease time. For softer apples, increase time.
- If your Instant Pot beeps and says “burning” you need to add more water to the bottom of your Instant Pot as it likely evaporated.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 366 Sugar: 29 Sodium: 46 Fat: 22 Carbohydrates: 44 Fiber: 7 Protein: 4
Keywords: instant pot, apple crisp