- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flacks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lb. chuck/arm beef roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2.5 cups short grain brown rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced
- salt to taste
- Kim chi
- sesame seeds
- Mix dry rub spices in a small bowl. Rub roast with dry rub spices, making sure all of the meat is covered and let the beef sit for at least 10 minutes.*
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add the roast to the Instant Pot and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove roast from Instant Pot, add onions, garlic, and all ingredients for the sauce (minus the cornstarch) into the Instant Pot. Mix well and place chuck roast on top of onion mixture.
- Close Instant Pot, turn pressure gauge to seal, set Instant Pot to manual, low pressure, and cook for 2 hours.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare short grain brown rice. Place rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for around 30-40 minutes or until all water has absorbed. Set aside.
- When the meat is done, quick release pressure and remove roast. Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the sauce in the Instant Pot. Stir well. Place roast back into the instant pot and shred with two forks. Close instant pot and turn to warm.
- Next, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute bell peppers in pan for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve beef with peppers, short grain brown rice, sesame seeds, and kim chi!
Tips & Notes
*The longer the chuck roast sits in the dry rub, the better!
- Nutrition information was calculated based on 8 servings and does not include rice and optional toppings.
- The Korean beef sauce was slightly updated on Feb 14, 2021.