- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large white onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup chardonnay (or a dry white wine)
- 8-oz. shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 8-oz. crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1.5 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth or mushroom broth
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (asiago, parmesan cheese, mozzarella, romano)
- Turn on the Instant Pot’s saute feature and then add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add the onion. Cook the onin for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot and toss all the ingredients together. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a spatula to make sure there are no burnt brown bits.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and toss with the other ingredients. Let the mushrooms cook down with the wine for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the arborio rice to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to be sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the saute function and add the broth to the pot and stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and uncover the pot. Stir the risotto once and add the cheese. Fold the cheese into the risotto and cover the pot for 1 minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Uncover the pot, the risotto should be creamy, but not liquidy.
- Serve with freshly cracked pepper and grated cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Before you cover the Instant Pot for pressure cooking, be sure there is nothing sticking to the bottom of the pot. You do this to avoid the ‘burn’ notice on the Instant Pot. the ‘burn’ notice is more common with older versions of the Instant Pot.
- You can use an already shredded Italian cheese mix or you can use ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, ⅓ cup asiago cheese, ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese.
- The risotto should be creamy, but not liquidy. If the rice isn’t cooked after you’ve added the cheese, cover the Instant Pot and let the rice absorb the liquid for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 370 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 1051 Fat: 6 Carbohydrates: 71 Fiber: 5 Protein: 10 Cholesterol: 71
Keywords: Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto