- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Sauce + Vegetables
- 2 lb pork shoulder roast
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (cabernet or pinot noir)
- 1 cup broth (any kind)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large carrots, chopped into 1.5-inch chunks
- 2 large potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar*
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- First, mix together all dry rub spices in a bowl using a fork get rid of any lumps!
- Next, rub the spice mixture all over your pork roast with your hands. Be sure that every inch of the roast is covered. Set aside.
- Turn on the saute feature of your Instant Pot and add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pot.
- When olive is fragrant add onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from Instant Pot.
- Add the last two tablespoons of olive oil to the Instant Pot and when olive oil is fragrant add pork roast and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side to brown the pork.*
- Remove pork from Instant Pot and deglaze your Instant Pot by pouring wine and broth into the bottom of the pot. Scrape all of the brown bits from the bottom the Instant Pot with a spatula. We do this to prevent the burn feature and for easier cleaning at the end.
- Then, add cooked onion and garlic, and fresh rosemary to the liquid and place metal Instant Pot trivet on top.
- Finally, place pork roast on top of the trivet and cover Instant Pot. Seal Instant Pot and set it to manual high pressure for 70 minutes.
- Quick release pressure and add carrots and potatoes to Instant Pot. Cover again and set Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 3 additional minutes.
- Quick release again and remove pork roast and veggies from the Instant Pot and place them in a large bowl. Throw rosemary sprigs away.
- Remove trivet and set aside. Add balsamic vinegar to the wine sauce. Mix well and then sprinkle on corn starch to the wine sauce.**
- Turn saute feature on and whisk mixture until the corn starch has dissolved. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Place veggies and pork roast back into the Instant Pot.
- Serve veggies and pork together and sauce on the top.
Tips & Notes
- If the ‘hot’ or ‘burn’ notice turns on during the searing of your pork roast, don’t panic. Continue searing! We will be deglazing the pan which will help cool the pot down!
- Balsamic vinegar: we prefer 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar because it gives the sauce a sweet and savory flavor. Feel free to start with 1/4 cup, taste it, and add from there.
- Make sure that when you sprinkle corn starch you evenly disperse over the sauce, rather than in one clump. Corn starch will clump if you do this!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 546 Sugar: 18 Fat: 24 Carbohydrates: 33 Fiber: 2 Protein: 48
Keywords: instant pot pork roast